Tuesday, October 5, 2010

In the beginning.....

There is an Elephant in the room....well, a few actually! It seems the heavy weights continue to hang around, no matter what course of action I take to diminish them. Waiting for this, weighting for that. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to grow up, or rather feel like a grown up.

I'm doing all the things grown up's are supposed to do: work, eat, sleep, work, save, spend, invest, work...workout. Nope, not budging. It all began 6 years ago when I opted to stop swimming and start treading. The "real" world seemed so exciting and scary all at the same time. It was my opportunity to leave the comforts of a sport I had known for most of my life. Stopwatches, endless laps, toned physiques, chlorine perfume, flaky skin, ridiculous hours and the only time I was good at Math, counting tiles at the bottom of the pool. It was time.

For a few years after I clung to the life jacket that was swimming, floating between jobs, in particular swim teaching and coaching.  I thought this was my path, this was all I would ever be "good" at. To be honest, it just became boring and a real pain in the rear. I admire anyone who works in the industry, but it just wasn't stimulating for me.

And so I stuck to my guns and continued to pursue a career in the industry I had studied: Communications. Today, I work as a communications officer and I seem to be picking up the pace. I aint just treading anymore...the doggy paddle is kicking in. Yet, that elephant, those elephants are still there........

3 comments:

  1. nice :)
    the big thing is getting started, and then keeping your posts up to date...

    I am about a year in now and it's a lot of fun actually - http://nybblesandbytes.blogspot.com.

    I will get Gina to come check out your new blog as well... :)

    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tibor....I'm going to check your's out right now. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tazz
    Remember that book I bought with you and Hails like 2 years ago or something silly like that? Well I've started reading it a few times over and over and still never got half way. Well It's called "Light As A Feather" and brilliantly funny. It's about this girl who is slightly large and has a new man. Her best friend asks her to become her bridesmaid. She dreads the idea and starts exercizing, gym etc... and just can't seem to drop the kg's. She then starts a blog and loads of ladies join about different diets they've tried exercize etc... Now you know, my cousin Fee's wedding is coming up. Ok it's only in March but she's asked me to be a bridesmaid. Fee's skinny and well the other bridesmaids aren't skin & bones but they're smaller than me. Now March isn't looking so far away.
    I stared going back to gym. Got sick, go over it, went back to gym & got sick again. So... right like I said March aint that far away and I don't want to be seen as "Oh that's Claire in that photo. You know, the fat bridesmaid on the end". NOT GONNA LET THAT HAPPEN! My goal was to loose a few before my birthday. Well my birthday's in two weeks and I'm heavier than ever. Plus Christmas is also before Fee's Wedding so I have to seriously behave.
    You can help me with the weighty Issues and I can TRY (not promise) with the man thing...
    Love you madly!
    x Clezzie

    ReplyDelete