Tuesday, January 4, 2011

FB Friends

Not so long ago I was waiting in line to pay for my few precious neccessities, when I couldn't help but notice the conversation taking place behind me:

"But, I don't understand, why has she not accepted my Facebook Friend request? I mean, we like see her every other six months, and I know she has been on FB in the past few weeks, I checked!!!" "Babe, I don't know why she has not accepted your request", said boyfriend. "I knew it, she doesn't like me." "I don't think that's true, I mean, everytime I see her and you are not with me, she always asks how you are", said boyfriend. "Then why hasn't she accepted my request?".

Seriously, is this what friendships now boil down to. I'm sorry, but hey, we aren't friends on FB so like, I don't think we can be friends face to face, know what I mean?

And how does the amount and who your friends are on FB now affect your levels of self-confidence and worth?

In the beginning I also thought it was cool to become friends with people you have not seen since nursery school, see how they are doing, where they are in life.....satisfy that human nature stuff of sinical nosiness. Now, I'm so into deleting people who are not actually my friends, specially when you see them out on the town and suddenly they ignore you and avoid you like the plague.....but aren't we friends on FB? I don't care if I only have 5 friends, as long as I communicate with them on a regular basis. Obviously this FB stuff is a good tool for keeping in touch with those people who are my most treasured friends and live in far flung destinations across the globe, otherwise, what's the big deal?

I'd rather have my friends around for a good meal, silly conversation, Wii or 30 seconds and some good wine. Are wall posts, photo tags, Farmville, likes and status updates really that valuable?

Now if only I knew how to delete on my upgraded FB site!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment