Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Time has Wings

Is it just me, or does time seem to speed up the longer you are out of school? The other day I was having a conversation with a colleague and I almost platzed when I realised that I have been out of school for 14 years already. And I could swear it was just the other day the World Cup was here and next week it will be November. I need a pause button.

The shopping centres have dusted off their Christmas decorations and most people are organising year end functions and thinking of their holidays looming on the horizon. Mmm, a holiday, I would really like one, but not a drive down to the coast, I want to go overseas and ski, visit Spain and Paris, drink hot toddies and bundle up in layers of warm wollies. There is nothing like a Christmas in the cold. Somehow, a braai just doesn't seem right. I suppose for those who have not experienced a "White Christmas", this statement would not fly with you....it doesn't fly with my Mom either: She hates cold weather!

Most of all, we must not forget what this time of year is all about; A time to give. This weekend myself, my sis and a couple of friends will be volunteering at the Santa Shoebox Project. What a wonderful initiative! I particlarly like it because it provides needy children with neccessities as well as toys. Give them what they need.

All of us have had such fun filling our "shoeboxes" and it has been a hot topic of conversation, but still, so many more of us could get involved and lend a helping hand. Let's forget about the rat race, that we don't have time to do anything...if you are really committed, you will make time. And you will make the effort.

Bill Gates and Willaim Buffett, the 2nd & 3rd richest people on earth, respectively, recently started The Giving Pledge. A challenge directed toward the USA's most wealthy to give away the majority of their wealth to charitable causes. Today, 34 billionaires have signed on.

Now, I know, the majority of us do not have this kind of money at our disposal, but you don't need money to do charitable things. You need time.






Make some, make a difference and feel good about it.

I wait for the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment