Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Inadequate

Last week I attended a conference for Public Relations and Communications practitioners. Well, didn't this little soiree leave me feeling rather inadequate!! Not in a bad way, but I was left pondering as to how I can be considered a Communications Practitioner, when I'm merely scratching the surface of what it is these practitioners do, on a daily basis.

These almighty practitioners are doing things that are rather exciting and intellectually stimulating, bringing a valuable service to their respective companies. I had no idea the King Report III or new Companies Act even existed, nevermind their importance to our profession.

This begs the question: What am I doing? Where am I going? Just when I thought I was figuring things out, along came that hunk of self-doubt and loathing, galloping down the chosen path, bumpling me into "What If?" oblivion! It drives me nuts, again having to re-evaluate my life. I'm not unhappy, don't get me wrong, a lot is happening right now, but it just feels like something is missing, something is not making sense.

Is it my job and the fact that myself, as well as the department I represent, are not taken seriously at my workplace, when others in my chosen field are clearly moving forward in leaps and bounds? All I know, is that I enjoy writing...so where to from here?

But what about that coffee shop I always dreamed of owning or the B&B? Or the novel I've always wanted to write, movie script, or the travel journalist? Huh? Confusion sometimes reigns, for all of us.

What if we could make those dreams come true? Over the weekend I just happened to browse through many a magazine and read about how individuals have taken the plunge and followed their dreams with loads of success. There are so many wonderful, amazing, successful and dynamic people out there. How do I become one of them? They all sound like they really know what they are talking about......I on the other hand, as my friend always says, am "Well-Read". Is this a compliment, is this a positive characteristic? What can i do as a "Well-Read" person?

I guess as always, it boils down to taking the risk and going after that elusive dream. Go get 'em tiger....and I'm not referring to the Wood's type of gung-ho!!!!

In the meantime, my ass belongs to the bank, what was that King Report III saying......

No comments:

Post a Comment