Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Instant Gratification

We live in a selfish world. When we want something, we want it now and sometimes the consequences of our actions are never fully considered.

I have a rule, which drives most people nuts, but it's my rule: Does not mean because I have a cell phone I'm available 24/7. I'm not at anyone's beck and call and I'm not an instant gratification service provider. When did it all become so crazy?

Is it because of the technological advancements? This argument carries a lot of weight. Instant Messaging, MMS, SMS, email, cell phones, Facebook, Twitter, the list is endless. All have their advantages and disadvantages, but does it warrant this insatiable hunger to have everything NOW?

Listening to everyone talk about how hectic and stressful life is, is incredibly tiring in itself. When, why and how did we forget to stop and smell the roses. When did we become so busy that we don't even have time for ourselves, nevermind the few minutes it would take to dial the number of a good friend, ask how they are and really listen to their answer.

Everything seems so superficial. Nothing seems real, its all a blur. I'm not excusing myself from such behaviour. On numerous occassions I have found myself agreeing to the "Stresses Out" pshyco-babble. It's sad, really sad and so frustrating. When did we have to resort to working through the night, possibly even on weekends. Why do we have dining rooms, when most meals are consumed in front of the TV. And why do children have conversations with each other, in the same room, over Facebook or Mixit?

My friend Rach wrote of a similar topic a few weeks back and I was so relieved to know that this busyness is not limited to us loonies here in Joburg, but is an international "phenomenon".

It's November already and I'm struggling to remember where most of the year has gone. South Africa hosted an awesome World Cup and it already feels like it was moons ago.

I think its time we took it slow. Stopped and acknowledged the beauty around us, appreciated the finer things in life. Taste our food, really connect with somebody. Talk to them, look them in the eye.

I remember when we were being exposed to the rolling black outs from our exceptional electricity service provider, Eskom. Wow, secretly I actually looked forward to them. No TV, no "noise", conversation, laughter, thought provoking topics, crickets, rustling of leaves swaying in the light summer breeze.

I know, I sound seriously nostalgic, but this is how it should be.


Don't rush to wait. Wait, take a deep breath and just be!



No comments:

Post a Comment